Thursday, January 31, 2013

If you wanna get lean, you need Protein!

PROTEIN!!! I wanted to share a simple smoothie that I made after my workout yesterday. For my smoothie, I used a vegan protein powder packet (pre measured) from Amazing Grass (I love their superfood energy bars too), a handful of strawberries, blueberries and some unsweetened flax milk. It was my first time having flax milk and I was pleased. I usually drink almond milk. I mixed all of the ingredients in a blender with ice. ( I eyeball everything, rarely do I measure.) But I would say I used at least 8-12 oz of the flax milk.



After a workout, you should always have protein within 1 hr to give your muscles the fuel and building blocks that they need to repair and grow. The recommendation is 10-20 grams of protein. The protein powder I used had 10 grams.  Also, if you have protein mixed with a carbohydrate (like the strawberries and blueberries I added) it helps the muscles to recover faster.
As we age, our muscle mass begins to break down down so it’s important to remain active....therefore, consuming an adequate amount of protein is key.

I poured mine into a wine glass (placebo, ha) and garnished with a strawberry! Delicious and simple! Only 4 ingredients!

So there you go... A simple vegan protein smoothie for post workout recovery. Enjoy!



Note : you can also use whey or soy powder...most soy powder is casein (dairy) free, but whey isn't!



2 comments:

  1. Hi, this is an outstanding post!! really very informative information you have provided us about protein.Thanks for sharing such kind of amazing information....

    protein to get lean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I am really passionate about fitness and muscle gains.

      Delete