Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ABS!

One of my favorite muscle groups to train are my abs. I was very fortunate to have had four children, not need a c-section and not get a single stretch mark on my tummy!! Genetics and cocoa butter are my secret. Like I said before, I didn't start working out til 2010 when my youngest was 2.
Ok back to abs,  I try to train my abs at least 2-3 times a week. Every other day is best (give at least 48 hours in between).

Here are a few of my favorite ab exercises that I do (I switch it up a lot, but I usually do at least 3-4 per session, the eagle crunches are just an addition that I do in the am and pm):



  • Eagle Crunches (at least 2 sets of 25 reps per day) (see photo in previous post below)



  • Side plank (3 options): work up to holding your leg like the picture shows. (it took me a year at least to do that during yoga) Try to hold it at least 30 sec to a minute on each side. If your wrist hurts, rest it...it will get easier the more you do it. (modification: you can also balance on your forearm until you can work up to you hand!)

easier! work up to the photo below!
side plank advanced


  • Jack-knife: I do this while balancing on the Bosu ball sometimes too! (see pic a previous post below for Bosu ball)  Do at least 10 reps of 3! Bring legs in and out!
jack-knife
and my two last ones have really been my go-to exercises, I know they say to switch it up but I love these because you can add heavier weights as you progress! I'm up to 20 lb now, easily done. Sometimes I do 25 lbs!
  • Medicine Ball or weight twist: (I use a weight because the balls at my gym only go up to 10 lbs. and I ain't got time for dat! ha) So move the ball side to side while keeping your core strong! (I do 3 sets of 35 reps usually) Beginners should try to start with 4 sets of 15-20 reps! 
ball or weight twists


  • Overhead weight ab crunch: (Say hello to me in the below pic!) These are like my fave exercises! I usually do 3 sets of 25-35 reps with a 15-20 lb weight. For beginners, I would say start at 3 sets of 10-15 reps with a 10 lb weight!

Roll Tide!


So there you have it folks, a few of my favorite ab exercises.  

Of course the best thing for your core is YOGA!!!! It has helped me to build my core tremendously! I haven't done a class since September because of school, but my goal is to start back soon! 

Leave comments below! I value your opinion! I posted a before eagle crunches and after eagle crunches on my instagram (@fitbamagirl) account. Check it out if you would like to see how super effective they really are!  
      





         

No comments:

Post a Comment